Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Time for my Annual Book Club Trip!

My book club consists of:
1.  a foul-mouthed New Yorker
2.  a native Hoosier addicted to running
3.  a high-heel loving Cheesehead
4.  a stay-at-home mom, who doesn't exactly enjoy kids, but likes them more than getting a job
5.  a non-nerdy gadget lover who tries (but fails miserably) to be politically correct
6.  a Goodwill shopper who wears whatever bling she can find, even if it's a candle holder
7.  me

When this group started almost 5 years ago, I knew 2 of the women in it.  Didn't know them well, but our sons played soccer together.  At our first meeting, I simply sat there with my mouth open, wondering what I had gotten myself into.  Now, I am so grateful that God put these wonderful women in my life.  They are kind, generous, funny people who give me a different perspective on every topic under the sun.

About six months after we began meeting, we decided to go on a trip.  I was all for it, as long as I didn't have to do any of the planning.  (I make a million decisions a day.  My dream vacation involves none.)  Our husbands were all for it, but were wondering how many of us would make it back alive.  All seven of us are quite headstrong and opinionated.  Our spouses figured this would be the end of book club.

On the contrary.  We had a blast and sealed our friendship.  Since then, we have seen each other through some serious ups and downs.  Our husbands and children have become great friends, too.  We still meet every 4-6 weeks, and yes, we do read and discuss books.  (One husband commented that the only reason it's a book club is that we like to book trips.)  We take one trip each year, always someplace new.

Tomorrow morning we leave for Charleston, SC.  I have no idea how that came about, and I have no idea what we're doing when we get there.  My friends have let me have my dream vacation.  Not one decision was made with my input.  I didn't even have to book the flight.  I honestly don't know which airline I'm even on.  As I write,  the Cheesehead is checking me and my suitcase in. 

God has blessed me with a perfect-for-me husband and six fantastic children.  And yet, He knew that it wouldn't be enough.  Women need women.  And He has given me six.  All I can do is say, "Thank you!"

So, I'm off until next week.  I'm getting out of this long, cold winter for a few days.  I'll come back with stories I can't tell, a stomach that aches from laughing, and a suitcase full of clothes that never got worn.  (Since I don't know what we're doing, I'm packing for every occasion.)

1 comment:

  1. Insanely jealous...my book club goes out...to eat!! ;-) Very cool.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you're thinking!